August 27th, 2015
The ENCORD Health and Safety working group met 20th and 21st April 2015 in Amstetten (Austria), and was hosted by Doka.
11 participants from 9 companies attended the workshop.
The meeting included:
- Presentation by participants;
- Presentation of best practice examples including discussion;
- Presentation of the participant’s H&S data according to the ENCORD KPI guide;
- Safety@Doka event.
ENCORD would like to thank the host Doka and especially Dr. Ludwig (Board Member DOKA), Johann Peneder, Helmut Weißengruber and their team for hosting this excellent and very well organized meeting and Safety@Doka event at the exhibition room.
The next ENCORD Health & Safety Platform meeting will be hosted by Strabag/ Züblin on 6th/7th April 2016 hosted by Strabag/Züblin in Germany.
April 2nd, 2015
The ENCORD Environmental Sustainability met on 11 March 2015 in Stuttgard, Germany. The workshop was organized by Zublin / Strabag.
The meeting included:
- Züblin / Strabag’s presentation.
- GRI 4, Integrated Reporting, CDP: influencing policy, ratings and rankings.
- The new EU directive on non-financial reporting coming up: what does that mean for our companies.
- The new EU commission sustainability strategy, Sustainability Development Goals (SDG’s) and COP Paris 2015: how will that translate to our business development and innovation.
- EU Pilot project – Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) by Dr David Harget (Uponor)
ENCORD VCP would like to thank the host Zublin / Strabag for making this excellent meeting possible.
February 15th, 2014
Experts from ENCORD member companies met on 4 February 2014, hosted by Vinci in Paris, France.
17 participants from 14 member companies attended the workshop.
The main topics of the meeting were:
- Feedback from Council Meeting and Three Year Plan.
- Outputs from last Council meeting discussed.
- Key work areas agreed as follows: Read the rest of this entry »
October 4th, 2013
Experts from ENCORD member companies met on 1st October 2013, hosted by FCC in Madrid, Spain.
23 participants from 13 member companies attended the workshop to discuss:
- Introduction to FCC.
- Actions from Previous Meeting:
• ENCORD Waste Measurement Protocol
• Waste CO2e conversion factors
• Water measurement Protocol
• ENCORD Sustainability Charter
• BIM and sustainability.
- Chemsec Presentation – Chemsec (International Chemical Secretariat).
- Presentation on Swedish project on Assessment of Environmental Performance EN 15978, and Environmental Product Declarations EN 15804.
- ISO/TC59/SC17/WG5 and CEN/TC350/WG6 both working on the sustainability of Civil Engineering Works.
- Open House Biodiversity Indicators.
The agenda for the next meeting 4th February 2014 – To be hosted by Vinci in Paris will include: Read the rest of this entry »
June 25th, 2013
The following measurement protocol document has been developed by the members of ENCORD (European Network of Construction Companies for Research and Development), along with partners from other like-minded worldwide construction organisations, and details the methodology for the measurement and reporting of waste from construction activities. The document also supplements the ENCORD Construction CO2e Measurement Protocol, as the data produced can be used for the calculation of Scope 3 CO2e emissions for emission source 10.
Guidance is provided on how to measure waste arisings, and reuse, recycling and recovery from construction, demolition and excavation on construction projects, as well as waste from construction company premises, with a view that companies will report their waste production publicly. The document identifies the scope and recommended levels of waste reporting, and also requires users to identify the disposal routes for the construction waste produced. The document is also intended to assist companies in reducing waste production from specific construction related activities from current and future work undertaken.
This document will be updated from time to time to take account of any new standards or changes to current methodologies.
Click here to download the Protocol.
June 4th, 2013
On the 21 May 2013 Environmental Sustainability Experts from ENCORD companies met in Stockholm, hosted by Skanska.
20 participants from 11 member companies attended the workshop.
Topics of the meeting included:
- Skanska Introduction Movie
- ENCORD Waste Measurement Guide
- Feedback from BIM Group Discussions
- Waste CO2e Conversion Factors
- Water Measurement
- ENCORD Sustainability Charter
- Update to the Construction CO2e Protocol
- Future Work Areas
There were four presentations: Read the rest of this entry »
February 20th, 2013
Experts from ENCORD member companies met on 12nd February 2013, hosted by BAM in London, UK:
ENCORD Waste Measurement Protocol:
– Discussion on the various comments of the ENCORD Waste Measurement Protocol.
– Waste CO2e conversion factors
Presentation – SuPerBuildings FP7 EU Project:
- Presentation and discussion on the SuPerBuildings FP7 EU Project.
Presentation – FCC Waste Measurement:
– Scope of measurement.
- Data collection technique.
- Importance of reporting.
Presentation – Skanska
- 2015 target of less than 2% of waste to landfill.
- All data collected by the project and collated at the business unit.
- SkanskaHouse: 99% waste diverted form landfill, 35% less energy.
Presentation- BAM BIM:
- Sustainability advantages of BIM:
Reducing waste, materials efficiency, and carbon savings.
The agenda for the next meeting Tuesday 21st May 2013, to be held at Skanska offices, Sweden will include: Read the rest of this entry »
October 17th, 2012
Experts from ENCORD member companies met on 9th October 2012, hosted by Acciona at their R&D Technological Centre in Madrid to discuss:
- the work on the ENCORD Waste Measurement Protocol,
- the CO2e emissions factors proposal being discussed with WRAP in the UK as a possible addition to the ENCORD CO2e Protocol,
- Experience of Measuring Waste and Carbon with best practice presentation by Acciona and Uponor,
- Communication Strategy for ENCORD CO2e Protocol Communication
- Memorandum of Understanding with European GBC
- BIM and Waste Reduction and embodied CO2e
The agenda for the next meeting will include Read the rest of this entry »
June 18th, 2012
A CO2e protocol assisting construction companies around the world to measure and report their carbon emissions has been launched by the European construction industry.
The CO2e protocol was developed by the members of ENCORD – the European Network of Construction Companies for Research and Development – assisted by partners from like-minded worldwide construction organisations. It details the method to be used for measuring the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of an organisation within the construction sector. The protocol uses best practice and will ultimately encourage and enable the next steps for reducing carbon emissions from construction processes to be taken.
It represents over two years of collaborative work by some of the largest construction companies in the world.
The launch comes ahead of governments and businesses from around the world meeting in Rio for The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD), 20-22 June 2012.
President of ENCORD, Prof. Ger Maas, points out, ‘It is some credit to the construction sector that Read the rest of this entry »
May 23rd, 2012
The ENCORD Environmental group met 22 May 2012, hosted by BAM UK. Topics of the meeting included:
- Key changes to the CO2 measurement Protocol document,
- CO2e Next Steps: The group will work on expanding the guidance on scope three within the ENCORD CO2e Measurement Protocol in close contact with WRI,
- Best practice: Companies shared best practice approaches, e.g. a CO2e reporting Web tool used by NCC to cover their business areas. It imports data from centrally sourced data (Electricity bills, District heat used, Diesel),
- Waste Measurement Protocol: Discussion on the latest version of the ENCORD Waste Measurement guidance document,
- Experience of measuring waste in accordance with the protocol, to include a presentation of the BAM SMaRT system.
The next meeting is Read the rest of this entry »
June 22nd, 2011
Otterlo, The Netherlands, 21 June 2011 – Twenty leading European construction companies, united in the European Network of Construction Companies for Research and Development ENCORD, have drawn up a joint corporate sustainability statement.
This ENCORD Sustainable Development Charter was ratified by Executives of the member companies at a meeting held 21 June 2011 in the Kröller-Möller museum in the Netherlands.
ENCORD, which was founded in 1989, is an innovation network of leading European companies active in the construction sector. The charter expresses the vision that research, development and innovation in the construction sector can make a significant contribution to a sustainable world. The participating companies Read the rest of this entry »
April 5th, 2011
The 14-15 February 2011 ENCORD Council Meeting with an emphasis on the topic of Sustainability was hosted by Balfour Beatty in Edinburgh. 28 participants from 16 companies joined the meeting.
In the first part of the meeting, participants gave a brief introduction on their activities regarding EU research projects. Presentations included OHL, BAM, Soletanche Bachy, ACCIONA, FCC, Consolis, Ferrovial Agroman, TATA Steel / Corus, Ballast Nedam, Hochtief, Züblin and CCC.
The following review of activities and an outlook on future ENCORD activities included: Read the rest of this entry »
November 9th, 2010
An ENCORD sustainability and CO2 workshop was held 6. October 2010 in Nieuwegein, hosted by Ballast Nedam. Topics and discussions included:
- Finalizing the ENCORD waste reporting guideline.
- An overview of the ENCORD members and their sustainability activities,
- Introduction of a draft of an ENCORD Sustainability Guideline
- Update on the GRI Construction and Real Estate Sector supplement (CRESS) and Scope 3 measurements guidance
- The meeting concluded with some best practice presentations.
Next steps of the group include discussing how CO2 measurement can be pursued at a broader level by all companies, finalizing the Waste protocol, discussing the sustainability guideline and sharing more best practice examples to improve the sustainability in the sector.
August 11th, 2010
An ENCORD ‘CO2 and Sustainability’ Workshop was held 5 and 6 July 2010 in Madrid Spain, hosted by Ferrovial Agroman SA.
Topics and discussions included:
- A feedback from the review of the individual member companies´ Sustainability Reports – three common key areas were environmental, social and economic sustainability.
- The group decided to draft an ENCORD guide on sustainability. Key areas of the discussion and for further actions in this respect were: continued work on CO2-emissions, Waste, Water, Effluent, Sustainability Materials and Sustainable Sources of Materials, Biodiversity and Hazardous Materials. Read the rest of this entry »
June 2nd, 2010
Facing the pressure of today’s challenging market circumstances, ENCORD member companies are focussing on new market perspectives as well as on more cost-efficient processes to “overcome” the current economic turmoil. Sharing knowledge in ENCORD’s network guides the members on their way of improvements and stimulates them in the right direction.
This ENCORD newsletter Number 18 for the member companies gives insight into some of ENCORD’s latest activities.
Download the pdf version of the newsletter: 1006_ENCORD_Newsletter18