April 16th, 2013
The ENCORD Virtual Construction Platform (VCP) met in Helsinki, hosted by SKANSKA for their 25th meeting on 15 and 16 April 2013. Well over 20 participants from 15 member companies joined the meeting.
The main topics of the meeting were:
- Skanska welcome
- Best Practices / What’s new presentations
- Update on ENCORD Platforms Sustainability and Lean Construction
- Workshop on meeting theme (collaboration with other ENCORD Platforms)
- Update on Standards: IFD NL (CB-NL), openINFRA
- Update other networks: 5D-Initiative, 5Di Software Vendor Workshop Athens
- Presentation on EU R&D projects: Hesmos, eBSN
- Presentation by new participants: Uponor, OHL
During the two day ENCORD VCP meeting Best Practice / What’s new presentations were presented
by all 16 present ENCORD member companies. The presentations were alternated with different other
presentations by ENCORD members and external guests and a workshop on collaboration with other
ENCORD platforms / working groups.
For this meeting we invited 1 external guest:
- Arcadis presented about the Dutch Concept Dictionairy naming convention initiative (IFD);
- Arcadis presented about the EU R&D project eBSN
The ENCORD VCP members presented about their internal Best Practices and in addition to that the
following presentations and discussions:
- Bouygues (Pierre Benning) presented on the openINFRA initiative;
- CCC (Issam El Absi) presented about the latest work of the 5D initiative and the software vendor
workshop that was held in Athens in the last week of February 2013;
Finally the ENCORD VCP group and available guests participated in a workshop where in 4 smaller
groups the following questions were answered regarding the collaboration with other ENCORD
- What do you associate with these topics (Lean Construction / Sustainability)?
- How are topics related?
- Implementation similarities
- Examples how can developments be linked, work more complementary
- Focus area per group: 1. Methods / market trends, 2. standards, 3. tools, 4. change management
- What would be your question to the ENCORD Sustainability and Lean Construction platform?
ENCORD VCP would like to thank the host Skanska for making this excellent meeting possible.
The next ENCORD VCP meeting is planned to take place on:
Monday 14 – Thursday 17 October 2013
Hilti / Liechtenstein (Combined with Hilti BIM meeting)
The topics for the meeting will be decided later.
October 19th, 2012
The ENCORD Virtual Construction Platform met for their twenty-fourth meeting on 15 and 16 October 2012 in Madrid, Spain. The workshop was organized by Acciona.
The main topics of the meeting were:
- Best Practices / What’s new presentations
- Workshop on topic collecting and using Metrics \ Get LinkedIn group working
- Update on Standards: COBie 2.0, IFD – Pilot Projects NL, openINFRA, COBIM 2012
- Update other networks: 5Di – workshop with vendors, BIM Summit Qatar, BIM Forum event
- Technologies: Cloud Computing, Solibri developments, Gehry Technologies
During the two day ENCORD VCP meeting Best Practice / What’s new presentations were Read the rest of this entry »
April 18th, 2012
The ENCORD Virtual Construction Platform (VCP) met for their twenty-third meeting on 16 and 17 April 2012 in Bunnik, The Netherlands. The workshop was hosted by Royal BAM Group.
The main theme of the meeting was the definition of five new knowledge exchange topics for the ENCORD VCP meetings in the next three years (2012 – 2015). The new topics were based on: progress review, updates on several R&D projects and Best Practices. The discussion about future topics also included a look back into the ENCORD VCP past: Since starting in 2000, the group covered many aspects related to BIM: Roadmapping, Infrastructure, Model Based Estimation, Progress Monitoring, Client Interaction, PLM Systems, Standardization, Energy Simulations, Virtual Reality techniques, Field BIM, BIM for Operation & Maintenance, Internal Organization & Procedures, etc.
Other topics of the meeting included Read the rest of this entry »
May 13th, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany. April 21, 2011 — The 5D Initiative (5Di), founded and working as an independent think tank and task force within the ENCORD Virtual Construction Platform, announced that collaboration with Autodesk Inc (Autodesk), Bentley Systems Incorporated (Bentley), Computers and Communication Technology International (CCT), RIB Software AG (RIB) and Tekla Corporation (Tekla) is moving forward to incorporate pragmatic requirements for a 5Di solution, which is the amplification of BIM solutions for contractors to ensure higher process integration from very early design, engineering, fabrication and construction to operation & maintenance.
The 5D Initiative was launched in 2008 with the goal of describing common requirements of the European construction industry for the development of new innovative tools by the hard and software industry. Since 2008, the 5D Initiative has had several discussions with leading software companies to recognize and analyze the requirements of the more advanced and fully-integrated 5D solutions.
Based on the shared requirements from the 5D Initiative and the strategic discussions so far, Autodesk, Bentley, CCT, RIB, Tekla and the 5D Initiative have reached a common understanding about BIM for construction. This led to a plan for taking the existing cooperation to the next level with the goal of reflecting the practical needs of higher process integration in the whole life-cycle in construction.
Click here to read the full PRESS RELEASE.
April 12th, 2011
The ENCORD Virtual Construction Platform met for their twenty-first meeting on 11 and 12 April 2011 in Essen, Germany. The workshop was organized by Hochtief ViCon.
The main theme of the meeting was “Open Exchange Standards and Requirements”. The meeting was divided in two parts: Read the rest of this entry »
October 1st, 2010
The 20th ENCORD Virtual Construction Platform (VCP) meeting was held in Paris, hosted by Bouygues.
The topics of this meeting of the ENCORD VCP platform included:
- RIB iTwo – update which process steps of virtual construction can be executed using the RIB iTwo suite and presentation of RIB as company
- Introduction to the Centre for Construction Innovation and Research of Teesside University in Middlesborough, UK and their work and research projects (Prof. Nashwan Dawood).
- Digital Progress Monitoring, using GIS, Google Earth 4D etc: presentation of on-site experience by HOCHTIEF using their Middle East “Barwa Commercial Avenue” project in Qatar.
- Field BIM: presentation of Artra on adding construction and lifecycle data to make models ‘intelligent’, including the use of tracking using RFID’s etc.
- Presentation on developments of Autodesk in respect to Reality capturing and Augmented Reality / Revit
- Overview of current developments of the 5D initiative (5Di)
- Best practice presentations and company introductions by Balfour Beatty, BAM, Bouygues, VINCI, Hochtief, Ballast Nedam, YIT and Skanska.
ENCORD would like to thank the host Pierre Benning of Bouygues for making this excellent meeting possible.
October 12th, 2009
12-13 October 2009 | Helsinki, Finnland
The 19th ENCORD VCP meeting was held at YIT’s head office in Helsinki in Finland. 25 participants discussed
- YIT – Vico software in practice \ developments
- Presentations by Vendors: Solibri, Jotne EPM, D-Rofus
- Update on 5Di progress
- Best practices / what’s new by participants
April 21st, 2009
21-22 April 2009 | Copenhagen, Denmark
The 18th ENCORD Virtual Construction Platform (VCP) meeting was held at NCC’s head office in Copenhagen, Denmark 21-22 April 2009. Prior to the ENCORD VCP meeting an ENCORD 5D Initiative meeting was held on Monday the 20th of April.
The ingredients of the meeting of the ENCORD VCP were:
- A presentation by NCC about their BIM implementation and the influence of the Danish government on BIM in construction;
- A presentation by Eurostep on an “Open Information Platform” to collaborate and exchange information from BIM and Document Management Systems between partners in the construction process. Eurostep is the replacement for Oracle in the InPro project;
- A presentation by the General Secretary of ENCORD (Jens-Peter Grunau) on ENCORD and the current eight focus topics and the ENCORD strategy;
- A presentation by Ballast Nedam on the implementation and use of IBM Maximo at Ballast Nedam’s Operations & Maintenance company;
- A series of “Bad Practices” and “What’s new” presentations by all present ENCORD VCP members. We chose to have the members present a “Bad Practice” presentation instead of “Best Practice” presentations, to inform each other about things that go wrong in our Virtual Construction projects, and about the actions taken to prevent this in the future.
June 1st, 2004
Hosted by: Hochtief, 1 June 2004
Virtual construction is a major international trend in the construction industry. Already today, companies using virtual construction have business advantages over their competitors. In the near future this will change: Companies that do not use virtual construction will have a business disadvantage! This second ENCORD workshop on Virtual Construction brought together leading practitioners, researchers and software providers from all over the world.